Unity Health

Kimberlow Hill Surgery | Wenlock Terrace Surgery

Top Tips

This section of our website addresses some of the most frequently asked questions.

If you cannot find the answer to your question on this page or elsewhere within the website, please contact us.

Where do I find the surgery contact details?

Contact details for all our surgeries, including telephone and fax numbers, along with our usual opening times can be found on the our surgeries page.

What is the best way to contact the surgery?

Please click here for tips and advice on how to contact us.

How can I book an appointment?

Call us on (01904) 754900.

Alternatively, you can use Patient Access to make and cancel appointments, request repeat prescriptions and view your medical records all online.

How do I register with Patient Access?

To register with Patient Access please bring in two forms of identification (one of which must be photo id) to one of our Surgeries and our Reception Team will sort this out for you.

What do I do when the surgery is closed?

If you are feeling unwell and cannot wait until the surgery is open again, please call 111.

In an emergency, please call 999.

How long will I have to wait for an appointment?

Our reception teams are very experienced and are happy to give advice on which member of our healthcare team would be the most appropriate for you to see.

You may find that you are advised to see a Nurse rather than a Doctor – we have a team of nurses with specialist skills and two of them can prescribe. Some of our Doctors work part-time hours and they all work across the two practice sites. You may therefore find you have to wait to be seen by a specific GP.

On some days there is more demand that others, your co-operation is very much appreciated when we try to identify your need as urgent or routine on those days.

How do I contact the District Nursing Service?

You can contact the the District Nursing Team by telephoning 01904 627635.

Unfortunately they are no longer based within our surgery and so we are unable to pass any messages on to them.

How do I contact the Health Visiting service?

You can contact the Health Visitor Team, which is based at Clementhorpe Clinic, on 01904 724457.

How do I find an NHS dentist in the area?

If you wish to register with an NHS dentist in the York area then you need to contact your preferred dental practice direct.

To find a list of NHS practices in your area please go to www.nhs.uk or call 0300 303 0060

If you are not registered with a dentist and need emergency dental treatment please call 111.

How long does it take to get a prescription processed?

We undertake to provide repeat prescriptions within two working days of receipt of your request. The best way is always to use your Patient Access account as you can track when it has been completed. Note we cannot take prescription requests over the phone.

If you or someone you know does not have internet access, repeat prescriptions can still be accepted in person, or via your local pharmacy.

This service is ONLY available for medication that you have received from us. You may be asked to make an appointment with the Doctor before your prescription can be issued.

Why do you need details of my previous GP and address before I can register?

We require this information in order to trace any of your medical records held in the UK. If you have lived in the UK before – even for a short period of time or many years ago and you registered with a GP, then you will have an NHS (National Health Service) number. The local Family Health Services (FHS) have to find the correct NHS number to allocate to your registration with us.

If you do not give us full details and the FHS cannot find a suitable match then your registration with us will not be processed until you provide us with the correct information. Once your registration has been processed then your previous medical records will be forwarded to us.

If I am a student at the University why can’t I stay registered with my GP at home?

In theory you can. However, because your GP is being paid by the Department of Health to provide your healthcare, the expectation is that you will attend that GP surgery for all non- emergency treatment. This will include coughs, colds, contraception advice, asthma follow-ups, medication requests etc. The regulations do not allow us to treat students as temporary residents because the 30 weeks of term time is more than half the year. Your ‘home’ GP can see you as a temporary resident.

We can therefore, only treat health problems that would not safely wait until the next appointment available at your own GP practice. Any on-going hospital treatment should still be funded wherever that has been arranged in this country and we are able to refer patients requiring hospital treatment to any NHS hospital in the country.

Can I make the text bigger and therefore easier to read?

If you would prefer the text on this website to display a little larger, please click on the ‘A’s at the top right of the page, this will increase or decrease the text size accordingly. You can revert to the site’s original settings at any time by pressing the F5 key on your keyboard.

Alternatively, you can change the browser settings on your machine so that pages appear larger or smaller. This will then apply to all websites you visit.

If you find the text needs to be even larger than that available using your browser settings, then you may find the RNIB website of help.

Why do we need you to tell when you change address or telephone number?

We ask for up to date contact details for you for various reasons:

If you are referred to the Hospital, the address and contact numbers we hold on your medical record are passed to the Hospital, so that they can contact you to make arrangements for your outpatient appointments. If the Hospital cannot make contact with you, you may be removed from the waiting list.

The University of York do not share information about students, who are our patients, because of Data Protection. Therefore, if you are a student at the University and a patient of the Practice and you change your contact details with the University, you must also do the same with the Health Centre.

If a clinic has to be cancelled or rearranged due to unforeseen circumstances, such as a clinician being on sick leave, then we make every attempt to contact patients to let them know. If we have out of date contact information for you, this may result in you having a wasted journey to the surgery, for a booked appointment that can no longer be carried out.

There may be times when the Practice will write to certain groups of patients, such as those suffering with asthma or diabetes, to invite them to clinics. If the incorrect contact details are held on a medical record, patients who require regular check-ups for, such as medication, could potentially be missed.