Unity Health

Kimberlow Hill Surgery | Wenlock Terrace Surgery

Sick / Fit Note for work

Sickness for Under Seven Days

Your employer can ask you to confirm that you’ve been ill. You can do this by filling in a form yourself when you return to work. This is called self-certification.

Self-certification forms usually include details such as:

  • information about your sickness or illness
  • the date your sickness started
  • the date your sickness ended

These dates may be days that you don’t normally work. For example, your sickness could start or end on a Saturday, Sunday or bank holiday.

Many employers have their own self-certification forms. If your employer doesn’t have their own form, instead they may use an SC2 form from HM Revenue & Customs – Employee’s Statement of Sickness. 

Click here to download a template self-certification form.

Sickness of More Than Seven Days

If you are sick and off work for more than seven days, your employer will normally ask you to provide a medical certificate from your GP.

Please fill this form to request a Sick Note.

If you have not seen a doctor at the practice and we have had no information from a medical professional about your illness, you will not be able to get a certificate without an appointment. Please book a routine appointment; urgent appointments are only provided for genuine medical emergencies and not for the purpose of certificates.

If you are under the care of a hospital, your certificate may be issued by the hospital, rather than by the practice.

If you need to request a fit note extension you can do so by using the form above or contacting the surgery. Please note that we can’t forward date a fit note and GP’s are unable to action the request for an extension until the first day of the inclusive extended dates. We can back date fit notes for you though.

Coronavirus (Covid-19)